She Feeds the World – Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in the Context of Food Security and Nutrition
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and CARE USA invite you to a virtual Congressional briefing on "She Feeds the World – U.S. leadership on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in the Context of Food Security and Nutrition".
Women are a critical force in agriculture and food systems worldwide. However, they are disproportionately affected by hunger and malnutrition. As producers, women have less access to resources, assets, and opportunities and often encounter barriers to becoming members of rural organizations and policy institutions and to accessing credit. As consumers, women are more likely to be food insecure than men. There is compelling evidence that food production and rural incomes increase when gender gaps in agriculture are reduced.
Join us to learn how empowering women brings us closer to our goals of eradicating hunger, ensuring food security, eliminating all forms of malnutrition, and improving life for people around the globe. Distinguished speakers will provide lightning remarks to raise awareness about gender roles in food and agriculture and underscore the importance of U.S. leadership in women’s empowerment.
- Senator John Boozman (R-AR), U.S. Senator for Arkansas
- Congresswoman Chrissy Houlahan (D-PA), Pennsylvania's 6th Congressional District (invited)
- Maureen Miruka, Director for Gender, Youth & Livelihoods, CARE USA
- Vimlendra Sharan Director, FAO North America
- Susan Kaaria Senior Gender Officer, FAO
- Melissa Kaplan ,Senior Policy Advocate, Food Security and Nutrition, CARE USA
- Thomas Pesek, Senior Liaison Officer, FAO North America
Join the conversation on Twitter using #SheFeedsTheWorld.