Food System Transformations: National Actions in a Globalized World
Event Date: Nov 14, 2019
Time: 12:15 PM to 01:45 PM (GMT -4)
International Food Policy Research Institute
1201 Eye Street NW, 12th Floor Conference Center
Washington, District of Columbia, 20005, United States
Food systems in developing countries are undergoing a rapid transformation shaped by global and regional events. But country actions will be critical in shaping future food system outcomes.
Some countries are taking a systemic approach to assessing and acting on food system transformation—considering consumption and food environments, food supply and sustainability, health, and socioeconomic outcomes.
This seminar will introduce this approach, and representatives from Nigeria and Viet Nam will discuss the challenges, opportunities, and trade-offs they encounter in enabling food system actors in their countries. A panel will share insights into how food systems can develop in a healthy, sustainable, and equitable way.
Transforming Food Systems for Healthier Diets: Supporting Actions at a National Scale
- Inge Brouwer, Associate Professor of Food and Nutrition Security, Wageningen University & Research, and A4NH Flagship Leader of Food Systems for Healthier Diets
Food System Transformation in Nigeria: Opportunities and Challenges for the Private Sector
- Adebowale Akande, Senior Scientist, International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Policy Actions Around Food System Transformation in Vietnam
- Phuong Hong Nguyen, Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Stuart Gillespie, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI, and A4NH Flagship Leader, Supporting Policies, Programs and Enabling Action through Research
- Martien Van Nieuwkoop, Global Director of Agriculture and Food, World Bank Group
- Emmy Simmons, Former Assistant Administrator, US Agency for International Development (USAID), and A4NH Independent Steering Committee member
- John McDermott, Director of CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH)
- Ruerd Ruben, Research Coordinator of Food Security, Value Chains, and Impact Analysis, Wageningen University & Research, and A4NH Managing Partner Representative